1. Plate lunch and variations on plate lunch is a staple of our local diet.Lunchtime for out-of-towners might be a sub sandwich or a burger. In Honolulu, it’s 2 scoops white rice, a scoop of macaroni salad, and teriyaki beef or chicken. We have burgers, too, but we call it hamburger steak with plenty of ono-licious (delicious) gravy on top.
1. Remove words such as “delicious”, “lovely”, “wonderful,” and other positive adjectives from your vocabulary. From now on, everything will be lekker and/or gezellig.2. Also don’t say “please” and “thank you.”3. Instead, add hoor to anything you’re saying. No, it’s not what you think. It’s just a filler word that the Dutch use because they don’t want to say “please” and “thank you.
1. You’d pay any (and I mean any) amount of money for three things: a plate of BBQ brisket with beans and potato salad, an order of chicken enchiladas with tomatillo sauce, or a donut smothered in maple syrup with bacon.2. You’ve heard the rumors and all the complaints from your friends about the traffic in Austin.
MY PARENTS CONVINCED ME not to study abroad in Bosnia and Herzegovina when I was in college. While I don’t regret my time spent in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Poland, part of me wishes I had “accidentally” filled out the wrong application. The Mostar Bridge jump is one of those reasons — while I probably won’t be diving there myself, I think the 46-year old diving competition would be amazing to watch.
RECONSTRUCTING MAPS based on different variables can be super helpful for understanding the world form a different perspective. A new cartogram by Redditer TeaDranks rescales the world’s countries not according to geographic area, but according to their population size.For example, Canada transforms into a tiny jagged line whereas India takes up a ton of space.
Politics has always meant trouble in my little family. My parents were immigrants to America with only one thing on their minds: to work hard and to live happily in a land filled with brand new opportunities.“Ahh – poorr—tuu—nity,” my mother always says, drawing out every single syllable. “We come to America for better job.
Help protect our mountains for you and future generations. Leave No Trace is a national program which promotes the protection of our nation& 39;s wildlands through education, research, and partnerships. It builds awareness, appreciation, and respect for America& 39;s public lands by teaching minimum impact skills and wildland ethics.
1. TimingNo one arrives on time. Never. Ever. Arriving at 10pm at a party is the best way to announce your gringoness. Also, Brazilians tend to party until late. Get ready to arrive around 11:30pm and leave after 4am.2. BeerThe rule for beer and most beverages is very simple: the colder, the better. Brazilians drink ice-cold beer.
The Hideaway & 34;On Broadway,& 34; Downtown AshevilleThis unique “pop up” restaurant by Celine and Company in downtown Asheville offers fresh, seasonally inspired dishes served with true Southern hospitality on their weekly menus. Enjoy safe distanced dining alongside masterfully prepared comfort food favorites in their expansive space with lush greenery, original brick walls, and high tin ceilings in the historic Broadway Arts Building.
A STATISTIC MAKING ITS WAY around the internet is that people who volunteer have a 20 lower mortality rate than non-volunteers. As wonderful as this sounds it’s hard not to question if volunteering is actually the cause behind this finding. As we all know correlation does not prove causation, meaning it might be a bit early to start making claims supporting volunteering’s link to longevity.
Just eight miles from downtown Asheville and Biltmore is the only Japanese-style bath house and spa on the east coast. Shoji Spa is nestled in the Pisgah National Forest and adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Soak in your own private outdoor salt hydrotherapy tub, add Shoji’s Signature tub side tea service and enjoy a variety of massage and spa services.
1. You use the term “sundowner” for after-work drinks and know that having one is more about the view than the beverage.2. You can name five sundowner spots in Cape Town in under 30 seconds. And you always select the best fit for the day based on the chance of rain, tide, and wind direction.3. You know how to inflate an empty “papsak” and use it as a satisfactory substitute for a pillow.